How does she open a YouTube Video?

~pi-su no kakudo wa 30 (san juu) do!  Doumo,  Yukirinu desu.

[The angle of this peace-sign is 30 degrees! Hey, this is Yukirinu.]

As you can see from the picture above, this aisatsu  (greeting) is referring to the angle at which she holds her peace sign up to her face. In other videos it comes with a cute gesture further illustrating the 30 degree angle bit, as you can see in the picture below.

In the case case her glamping video, the aisatsu is divided into a cute, short, but memorable catchphrase and a self introduction. Once again, doumo has taken precedence over konnichiwa in the self introduction portion of the aisatsu.  The catchphrase  portion has a nice rhyming lilt to it. Both halves of the catchphrase start with an elongated sound (pi-su/sa n ju-) and end with the sounds ~udo, with the ha in the middle acting as a pause or a break. It should be noted that [n] gets its own syllable beat. If La represents a long sound, ti a short sound, capital letter syllables represent high pitch, and lowercase syllables represent low pitch, the syllabic rhythm ends up sounding like La-ti-ti Ti-Ti-ti, wa Ti-Ti-La-ti.

Yukina San is a perfect example of how having a little gesture or a sign on signature is common for Japanese YouTubers. I find it fascinating that the gesture or her sign on doesn’t really have much to do with  her YouTube channel. Rather, it is simply cute and it suits her. It also happens to be a reference to a common phenomenon amongst young Japanese people. They really do angle their peace sign more than many people of other countries.  

It will be interesting to see what kind of gesture or signature sign on method that I end up picking for my aisatsu. I don’t have the necessary background to use an “in the know” type reference like she does, but perhaps I can think of something cute and simple. Well, her gesture is simple. Spitting out all of those syllables at twice the speed of normal human speech is less simple. I’ll have to be careful that whatever I pick will not be too much of a mouthful for me to say at the beginning of every episode.